Thursday, November 24, 2011

Salvation Army-- er, I won't be enlisting in that one

Boycott the Salvation Army for being anti-gay

It seems that the Salvation Army has a position on homosexuality-- "Christians whose sexual orientation is primarily or exclusively same-sex are called upon to embrace celibacy as a way of life."

Say what? Embrace celibacy? I'm thinkin' that embracing is going to cause epic fails in the celibacy game. That is preposterous advice, on so many levels.

And where does that leave us Bis-- who may not be primarily or exclusively same-sex-seeking? Does that mean it's still a free-for-all for us? Not that I have been able to take advantage of the free-for-all. For the past 15 years it's been a none-for-me. And those have been a really loooooong 15 years. Ugh. I wonder if SA has a position that unmarrieds should embrace celibacy, too. What about heteros that aren't trying to get pregnant-- should they abstain? The Salvation Army seems mired in its original 19th century beliefs (or the Bible-- either way, draconian).

So yeah, I support a boycott of the SA bell-ringers this season. Well, not that this is something new-- I never put money in those buckets, but find other ways of donating during the holidays. Homosexuality is not a choice, Salvation Army, but not dropping funds in your buckets, is.

No comments:

Post a Comment